Wednesday 6 October 2010

Bruce Mau

An incomplete manifesto of growth;
Bruce Mau Design 
His manifesto was is interesting, here's some of my favourites:
  • 4. Love your experiments (as you would an ugly child).  ''Joy is the engine of growth. Exploit the liberty in casting your work as beautiful experiments, iterations, attempts, trials, and errors. Take the long view and allow yourself the fun of failure every day.''
  • 15. Ask stupid questions.  ''Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer, not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant.
  • 40. Avoid fields.  ''Jump fences. Disciplinary boundaries and regulatory regimes are attempts to control the wilding of creative life. They are often understandable efforts to order what are manifold, complex, evolutionary processes. Our job is to jump the fences and cross the fields.''
Here's a few I didn't really like, or agree with:
  • 14. Don’t be cool.  ''Cool is conservative fear dressed in black. Free yourself from limits of this sort.''
  • 25. Don’t clean your desk.  ''You might find something in the morning that you can’t see tonight.'' 
  • 27. Read only left-hand pages.  ''Marshall McLuhan did this. By decreasing the amount of information, we leave room for what he called our "noodle." 
Great website, I love the colours and the layout, although may I be so bold as to call it little pretentious?......Of course I can, its my blogg!


Expanding on that, I often look at different forms of design from websites, to paintings, to exhibitions and more often than not I come away thinking, that everything I looked at had this air of pretentiousness about it, whether I like the piece or not.  I believe however, that if you aren't schooled in such subjects, your opinions tend to gravitate this way.  For me perhaps its because I am re submerging myself into a culture that isn't necessarily where my talent lies, or its out of my comfort zone; like having a prosthetic limb, or a major operation, it takes time for the body to accept a foreign body. 

No comments:

Post a Comment