Wednesday 13 October 2010

Steven Holl

Steven Holl
I stumbled across this an thought that his work is a little bit good!  Steven Holl has done so many large scale projects all over the world, I especially like his 'horizontal skyscraper' in Shenzhen, China, its quite simply like nothing I have ever seen before.  Here is someone who isn't afraid to push the envelope and break boundaries.  



The way he uses light to add different shades to surfaces and his use of really crisp, sharp lines on various geometries  'The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art' Kansas USA, is really inspiring, I think he might just be showing off!

The use of geometry to illustrate the continuation of the 'internal environment' to the 'external environment' shown here is also really great to see.  I'm not sure what the temprature swing is in Kansus, this detail can be difficult to get right wherever you are.  

There is nothing subtle about this man's work, its all 'in your face architecture' and as much as I admire his work, The scale of it are a little larger than what I am interested in for the purposes of this MA..... I'm going to try and be a grown up and work towards something a little more refined.  His website is a break from the norm too.  Without getting bogged down in trying to 'look cool' it has a simple but effective interface that makes you want to read every article.

No comments:

Post a Comment